Friday, October 8, 2010

October 4 Final Thoughts About El Camino

Julie
I loved El Camino. Each day brought me closer to achieving my personal challenge of walking 720km. We met so many interesting and caring people. El Camino was like belonging to a big family, we shared blister stories and gave suggestions of what worked best. People were quick to encourage each other over the difficult climbs and congratulate others for a job well done, and celebrating our achievements over a great cup of coffee. Each day unraveled slowly in its ever changing beauty. I loved the fact that you just had to let life happen, one step at a time. It was truly an awesome experience!

Mario
El Camino was about setting a goal and achieving it, even though there were times along the way when I felt like quitting. This is when it is important to have someone with you to talk to and get over the rough times. There were times when my backpack felt too heavy, and times when the bottoms of my feet felt so tender, and times when I felt I could not do an elevation ascent of 600 meters. But many of those times I had to put things in perspective – the 70+ years old husband and wife determined to do it; the man who was doing this for his wife who passed away five years prior; and the 66 year old women who had knee surgery 3 months prior to el camino. There were so many people who were facing greater challenges, which made my complaints and challenges seem so trivial. This was not an easy trek, and therefore I'm proud of my accomplishment. And I'm especially proud of having traveling partner who shared similar goals and who also overcame the many challenges along El Camino.

No comments:

Post a Comment