Friday, September 7, 2018

Sept 5 to Saint Privat D'Allier 24km

Up at 6:30am, organized our packs and ready for a long trek. I felt good, lots of energy and eager to reach our destination 24km away. Well, all my excitement kinda died at the 12km mark. The hills were a killer, and by the 17km mark I questioned my sanity. I understand this is a common feeling on the camino - the point where one thinks about calling a taxi to reach their destination. There was a lot of self-talk, "yes I can, yes I can. Do you want people to think you're a wimp?" Of course I had to show Julie that I too was worthy of great admiration by meeting our day's goal. And I could never let her claim superiority over me, even if she is a better trekker. Well at the 17km we were saved. We reached Montbonnet, and a bar serving a fantastic tomato and mozzarella cheese salad. It was a stop that was re-energizing.

Well, we made our destination, and about one minute from our hotel there was a fierce rain storm and thunder. Of course I had no idea where the hotel was and I scrambled like a mad-man trying to get the pack covers and umbrellas. Had I known the hotel was so close we would not have gotten so wet. But it was comforting to be inside a warm room watching the rain, and there were many trekkers undercover in bars waiting for the rain to subside.

No comments:

Post a Comment